- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Non-Invasive Herniated Disc Treatment with our Chiropractor in Brentwood, TN
At Maryland Farms Chiropractic, our Brentwood chiropractor has helped hundreds of people throughout her career discover natural relief from herniated disc symptoms. We help patients not only heal from injuries but prevent recurring problems and maintain healthier spines for life.
Understanding Herniated Discs: Causes & Symptoms
A herniated disc occurs when the inner gel-like material of a spinal disc (called the nucleus pulposus) leaks out of a ruptured area in the disc's outer layer (called the annulus fibrosis). The injured disc can then leak into areas beyond its normal intervertebral joint space, leading to compression of nearby spinal nerve roots and other structures.
This type of disc injury can happen to just about anyone, although we see it most often in men between the ages of 30-55. Possible risk factors for a herniated disc can include:
- Physically demanding labor and frequent heavy lifting
- Frequent bending and twisting
- Repetitive movement
- Excessive sitting
- Decreased circulation and/or nutrition to the disc, rendering it weaker and more susceptible to injury (this may be a consequence of advancing age, poor nutrition, or even smoking)
Interestingly, a disc can herniate and not cause any symptoms. If symptoms do occur, they often include numbness, tingling, and weakness in an arm or leg innervated by the impinged spinal nerve root.
Herniated vs. Bulging Disc: Is There a Difference?
The terms herniated disc and bulging disc are often used interchangeably. But while treatment may be similar, these are actually two different conditions.
Unlike a herniated disc, a bulging disc does not involve a tear in the outer disc layer and subsequent leaking of the inner fluid into the surrounding joint space. Instead, the disc literally "bulges" out of place due to abnormal force or movement in the spine. This can still lead to compression of nearby structures and, therefore, similar symptoms.
How our Brentwood Chiropractor Diagnoses & Manages Herniated Discs
Chiropractic care for herniated discs often includes:
- Chiropractic adjustments, to realign spinal joints and relieve associated nerve compression
- Corrective exercises, to facilitate disc tissue healing and increase core stabilization for reduced risk of re-injury
- Postural screens and lifestyle guidance, to help patients learn what postures, ergonomics, and even dietary habits may be contributing to their injury and inflammation
Struggling with Herniated Disc Symptoms? Contact our Chiropractor in Brentwood, TN
If you believe your body is showing herniated disc symptoms, contact Maryland Farms Chiropractic today at 615-309-8279. We encourage you to ask our Brentwood chiropractor about our current special offers for new patients, including an entire consultation and exam (with X-rays as indicated) for only $37!